Monday, September 21, 2009

There is no crying in baseball...

A week ago, I was walking into school to pick up my kids. Everything was going fine. I've got a smile on my face and a skip in my step. I can handle this. I am good with "the breakup". I am good with the house in foreclosure.I am good being a single mom.
All is good.

And then everything stops. A friend, a colleague really, says hey how are you? Just one of those rhetorical questions that the asker doesn't expect an answer...much less one that involves tears! I paused before I answered, thinking to myself "how am I REALLY?" and then the tears started. There I was in the hallway at school stifling back the tears wondering (as I said earlier..How did I get here?).

Arms went around my back and the floodgates were opened...tears that had been pent up for weeks, maybe months came rushing out. And as I was crying, I was told "there is no crying in baseball"...but this isn't baseball I thought. This is a game with much more complex rules...fouls are allowed, stealing expected and you never know what pitch is coming up next and hearts not bats get broken. The tears continued through the hug and when I was let go..the tears stopped. I went ahead and picked up my children and we set off together with the phrase "there's no crying in baseball echoing in my ears".

But this is real life and there are tears. But for now my tears have subsided and I am good. Really. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment